If you're looking for a unique opportunity to help establish a Technical Operations organization with the oversight to design, implement, and lead a group responsible for delivering on Payroc's growth and industry-changing strategic objectives - read on.
At Payroc, we're building the next generation of capabilities that powers our merchant-first ecosystem. The radical and responsible delivery of value is our mandate. We believe that focused and empowered teams can do great things. You'll find that we're a curious, driven, and pragmatic bunch who believe in outcomes over outputs, and we're looking for like-minded individuals to join us on our journey.
What we're obsessive about:
- Small teams, big things: We'll convey the outcomes our merchants require, provide you with the support and tools to succeed, and then we let you work your magic, with no needless processes to get in your way.
- Develop, grow, thrive: We promote a philosophy where you can develop and grow as an individual and team. We encourage you to approach problems in unique ways, try new techniques, learn from your colleagues and master your craft.
- Real people, real problems: We develop solutions to solve real-world challenges faced by our merchants. Our Team Members collaborate to build the right things the right way. We are curious about how things work, and we believe that sharing ideas and insights leads to better, more innovative products.
- Payroc is embracing a hybrid multi-cloud (AWS and Azure) / on-premise ecosystem to address infrastructure diversity. We are looking for an Infrastructure Engineer who will engage in all aspects of the design, implementation, and ongoing stewardship of Payroc's hosting environments. These new environments will embrace observability, high-availability, information-security, and infrastructure-as-code as first-class concerns. You will take a hands-on approach alongside peers within our TechOps, DevOps, and InfoSec practices. You will also play a critical role in operational support of existing legacy and future acquired assets.
- To be successful, you must be a self-starter and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously; you will own deliverables end to end, prioritize workload effectively, and thrive in a dynamic environment.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide senior TOps leadership on all design and standards issues including analysis, development, implementation, as well as training and mentoring of technologies
- Evaluate, test, develop, and implement complex technical solutions to address a variety of business problems. This includes hardware, software, configurations standards, and creating solutions with a specific focus on driving business value.
- Responsible for supporting system and network infrastructure including but not limited to switches, routers, load balancers, firewalls, compute, storage, and virtualisation assets. Oversees proactive grooming, life cycle management, upgrades, capacity management, and high priority incident, change, and problem management.
- Manages highly visible/risky changes and ensures infrastructure is running efficiently. Acts as TOps liaison to peers in Engineering, Architecture, Information Security, and Production Support.
- Works closely with Engineering and Security to stay abreast of upcoming TOps related initiatives, as well as notifies these groups of re-occurring issues within the TOps realm.
- Ensure the availability, performance, and operational integrity of the Systems and Network Engineering domain.
- Align systems solutions/technologies to complement and support business/strategic plans.
- Make recommendations for emerging, new, and altered technologies that would contribute to system productivity and cost savings improvements.
- Establish system management criteria and develop, maintain, and monitor procedures and policies.
- Coordinate appliance and software upgrades with vendors and teams as necessary.
- Coordinate capacity planning and analyse information for hardware tuning and integration.
- Issue technical bulletins to inform users of system changes and act as technical advisor.
- Provide CTO office with regular reports detailing network usage, security, and voice system service levels, maintenance, turnaround, and response times.
- Schedule and coordinate with the Security team to conduct System/Network and Information Security assessments.
- Coordinate the development of a comprehensive Network and Systems Disaster Recovery Plan, maintain the plan, and conduct periodic testing.
- Develop written procedures, engineering drawings, and other technical documentation.
- Coordinate and direct preventative maintenance of significant systems components.
- Communicate to the general organisation on the support efforts of project-related items.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently with competing deadlines.
- Limited supervision and direction is provided, as this individual can operate and drive results and set priorities independently.
- Champion standard change management and configuration policies.
- Demonstrate sound judgment in solving problems as well as identifying problems in advance and proposing solutions.
- This individual must work effectively with Staff to VP level employees within the function, across functions, and with external parties.
- To be successful, this individual must demonstrate favourable results through regular leadership and influencing others.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in Windows/Linux/Cloud environments.
- 10+ years of experience with enterprise-level system/network design and support.
- 5 years of experience as a technical lead or architect.
- Commitment to achieving 100% uptime.
- Technical expertise and hands-on with Windows Server administration, Linux, Active Directory, DNS, Cisco/Juniper/Palo Alto Networks WAN/LAN Technologies
- Knowledge of Routing, Switching, IP Networking, DNS, LAN/WAN, QoS setup, VLANs, BGP, OSPF, and Layer 2/3 protocols.
- Solid experience with Virtual Private Networking, and Wireless Access Points.
- Bash/PowerShell/Perl/Python or other scripting.
- Experience with Disaster Recovery planning and implementation.
- Experience with network security such as certificate management in applications.
- Experience with monitoring tools to identify potential failures and support forensic investigations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to have completed multiple, complex technical projects.
- Ability to effectively prioritise, research problems, document, execute and manage tasks within a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Must be self-motivated and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work on a team and independently.
- Additional Qualifications a Successful Candidate May Have
- Palo and Juniper experience preferred.
- AWS/Azure experience would be beneficial.
- Preferred certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCSP, MCSE, VCP, ITIL or other best practice methodology.
- Configuration Management platform (Anisble, Chef, ect…) exposure.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Canada Only.
We thank all the candidates who have shown interest in our company, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.