Why we need you:
As Principal Software Engineer here at PagerDuty, you’ll help lead PagerDuty through a highly strategic transformation from a single product to a platform. PagerDuty is transitioning from a set of products to a platform that consists of a set of configurable, flexible building blocks that can be leveraged to manage a variety of real-time work and real-time workflows.
With that, we are increasing our engagement with partners integrating other tools with PagerDuty, consultants building bespoke solutions, and customers customizing the platform and creating deeper integrations to fit specific environments and specific workflows.
Come help us kick off the new Platform group and be a part of the digital transformation. In this role, you’ll play a key technical leadership role across several development teams working to define and build a set of platform building blocks to manage real-time work and real-time workflows. You will be working closely with other product development teams internally who will leverage these building blocks to build new products.
We’re customer obsessed and have mandated ourselves to be even more customer obsessed going forward. We’re looking for Principal Engineers who understand this obsession and want to own work that will help us and our customers grow and thrive.
- Think long term and partner with our peers in product management to build out a long term vision for the PagerDuty Platform.
- Design and architect the set of flexible platform building blocks that will become the PagerDuty Platform.
- Work backward from our multi-year vision and create a plan for the PagerDuty Platform that we can execute in multiple phases and that will deliver value to customers not just in the long term, but also in the medium and short term.
- Create and implement a plan that will evolve our existing architecture, micro-services, and larger services into this new platform design, over the course of multiple milestones. To use a tried and true analogy, this will be like replacing the engine of the plane while mid-flight.
- Collaborate closely across many different product development teams to validate and pressure test our new platform architecture, design, APIs, and user experience.
- Be a coach and mentor to engineers of all experience levels. You’ve been a technical leader and really enjoy mentoring and leading projects and driving technical excellence within the team.
Skills and attributes:
- You have extensive experience re-architecting a complex product and breaking a monolith up into multiple services / microservices.
- You know the best practices of undertaking such initiatives as well as the pitfalls to avoid (and have the scars to prove it).
- You are empathetic - you can clearly communicate your thoughts and opinions to others and facilitate these technical discussions to a successful outcome.
- You do good work and lots of it; the drive to deliver is just a part of you.
- You have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- You can prioritize and execute multiple tasks in a highly dynamic environment with a results-oriented mindset.
- You have 10+ years designing, developing, and managing customer-facing SaaS applications and web-based systems.
- You have strong experience in designing and building REST APIs.
- Experience in some or all of the following: Elixir, Ruby on Rails, Kafka, React.
- Experience with agile (scrum, kanban, lean) delivery methodologies.
- Public cloud engineering on AWS (preferred), Azure, or GCP platforms.
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
- Generous parental leave
- Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to paid holidays and ample sick leave
- Opportunities to get involved in PagerDuty's Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and other diversity initiatives. ERGs are self-organized, employee-run communities focused on advancing a sense of belonging and inclusion for all - members, advocates, and allies.
- Paid employee volunteer time - 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company wide hack weeks
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is for people. Meaning, we extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
We thank all the candidates who have shown interest in our company, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.