Gorman Consulting (https://gormanconsulting.org) is a firm that provides specialized measurement and evaluation services, primarily in the health sector within low- and middle-income countries. We are seeking a consultant data engineer who will help set up and maintain a database and accompanying extract, transform, load (ETL) infrastructure for COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial results for our client. The ideal candidate is meticulously attentive to detail and proficient in Python/SQL with 5+ years of relevant experience. Candidates that also bring experience with data cleaning/analysis in Stata/R or data visualization experience with Tableau will be prioritized with the potential for a broader set of responsibilities relative to those below.
- Start date: November 1, 2021
- Hours: Full-time or part-time, depending on availability and breadth of experience.
- Duration: One year with high likelihood of extension
- Location: Remote though candidates in a US time zone are strongly preferred
- Compensation: A competitive consulting rate that is commensurate with relevant experience
- Support building the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) of clinical trial data that we receive in batches from partner laboratories.
- Use Airflow to automate ETL processes.
- Design the schema for our staging and production databases.
- Deploy our data pipeline on Heroku and Amazon Web Services.
- Support the team to define and employ quality checks of incoming clinical trial data; work with partner laboratories to identify and resolve data issues.
- Manage the SSH File Transfer Protocol for receiving incoming data.
- Generally, contribute to all aspects of designing, developing, testing, and maintaining our data pipeline system while creating and managing clear documentation for internal/external use.
- 5+ years of relevant experience as a data engineer building components of a data warehouse and data pipeline including setting up and maintaining relational databases (MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL), automating ETL workflows and using ETL software such as Airflow or Luigi.
- Proficient in Python (both functional and object-oriented programming) and in SQL.
- Experience with cloud computing, preferably Heroku and AWS.
- Meticulous attention to detail. For example, please use the subject line “Application for Data Engineer: Your Last Name” in your email application.
- Prior experience working with sensitive data or protected health information.
- Self-starter who will thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment by taking ownership and initiative.
- While not required, the following are preferred: experience with data visualization software such as Tableau; data analytic experience using Stata or R; experience with clinical trial or immunological data.
- Excellent organization/interpersonal skills as well as strong written and verbal English communication abilities. Ability to organize/discuss complex technical information in a clear and concise way.
To apply, send your CV to [email protected] Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Candidates must have legal authorization to work within the country they are based.
We thank all the candidates who have shown interest in our company, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply on Anomadic