We’re looking for someone who’s really smart, and humble, and thorough, and meticulous, and self-motivated, and kind, and a little funny, and tenacious, and did I say self-motivated? Well, that’s because we’re a remote company! Being remote is fantastic, it’s empowering, and it’s perfect for people who like to be their own boss and push themselves to be at their very best every day. It’s also perfect for people who hate wearing pants or enjoy going out for ice cream at 4:18pm because it was nice outside and they just felt like it.
That’s where you come in! If you’re a Web Developer with those qualities, then chances are you would love to work at Help Scout.
About the role:
- You’ll be one of the go-to persons for our marketing website, helpscout.com. You’ll create new pages, re-work old ones, and generally help us create a brand experience that makes people feel all warm and fuzzy.
- Since you’ll be focused on public websites instead of the product, this role sits on our Design and Marketing team.
- For the really technical stuff — like fixing an issue with the CI pipeline — we’ll make sure you have support from the Engineering team. You don’t have to know it all.
- This role also involves a good deal of project management. You'll be responsible for driving (or co-driving) projects forward, communicating with others about tasks, and making sure things get shipped.
- Since you'll be one of the most technical people working on the marketing site, many folks will lean on you for advice and direction. You’ll help them level up their coding skills, familiarize them with the codebase, and empower them to work more independently.
- Our marketing site is powered by Gatsby. Experience with this environment would be helpful, but it’s not required.
- Your best work happens at the intersection of design and engineering — bringing a project to life. You can take a spec document and a Sketch file, transform it into a fully-functioning web page, and make sure every interaction is on point.
- You are used to partnering with a few stakeholders and thrive at managing projects through to completion. If you’ve ever worked in an agency or as a freelancer, you’ll probably feel right at home.
- You’re a systems thinker, passionate about writing code that scales and stands the test of time. Most importantly, it’s code anyone can understand and enhance without asking you for help.
- You’re always looking for new ways to stay on top of your craft as the industry evolves.
- The idea of helping to move our business forward across three vectors — Growth, Content, and Brand — is really exciting and rewarding to you.
Who you'll be working with:
- Adam Goyette, VPM - You’ll be reporting to Adam, who’s not only in charge of the Marketing team, but leads many of our brand initiatives.
- Mark Carter, Front End Developer - You and Mark will be work best friends, owning www.helpscout.com together.
- Bronwyn Gruet, Designer - Many of the beautiful illustrations and textures you see on the website were created by Bronwyn.
- Matt Plays, Designer - You’ll be working alongside Matt regularly on layout, interaction, polish, and presentation.
- Jessica Greene, SEO - You’ll work with Jessica to make sure the site is technically sound for any bot that crawls the site
- Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn't divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
- Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
- Sabbatical - After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
- 401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and provide a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 110 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Why Help Scout?
We're remote. It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked remotely before — we’ve been doing it for nearly a decade and are helping to write the playbook — we’re happy to show you the ropes. Most folks that get a taste of working in a "remote first" company have a hard time going back to the old way of doing things.
We’re passionate about diversity and inclusion. The data is abundantly clear about diverse teams being more successful, and we're dedicated to setting the team up for success. Today our leadership team is 62% women, and that's just the start. Here's our DEI Dashboard where you can see all of our team demographic data and read about our commitment to this work.
We're committed to SMBs for the long term. Help Scout is focused entirely on serving small and midsize businesses, typically up to 500 employees, because those companies view customer service differently. It's not a cost to be optimized, it's their most effective marketing tool and a key differentiator from the competition. We built Help Scout for companies that truly value being customer-centric (like us) and want a product that shares their values.
We're leaving the world better than we found it. Did you know Help Scout is a certified B Corporation, with a mission to give away at least 1% of our product through Help Scout for Good? Our company exists not just to help ourselves, but to invest in our team,
We thank all the candidates who have shown interest in our company, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.