We believe that brand is a differentiator and that a company’s content has an outsized impact on its brand. A traditional inbound marketing strategy has served us well for traffic and conversion, but we’re excited to take a cue from consumer brands, media companies, and publishers by investing more in creative content this year. Our big initiative will be the launch of a multimedia content hub for mission-driven founders and small business leaders. Think of it as a beautifully designed online publication for founders and execs who are tired of all the repetitive, uninspired content that most companies publish for them. We’re creating a destination where empathetic leaders can learn together, get inspired, and build companies that put people first.
To make this vision a reality, we’re hiring a Content Writer to craft creative articles and interviews that will attract our target audience: curious, thoughtful founders and small-business leaders. In this role, you’ll write compelling stories about founders and small businesses building with purpose, as well as helpful resources for leaders as they grow their companies. You’ll weigh in on story ideas and conduct the research and interviews to bring them to fruition.
About the role:
- Develop a deep understanding of our target audience and what they like to read.
- Write inspiring, relevant, thought-provoking content with a human and helpful tone.
- Highlight and amplify the voices of small business leaders who show a deep commitment to their craft and purpose — covering a diverse range of industries and backgrounds.
- Collaborate with the Editorial Lead to define the founder hub’s voice, tone, and writing principles.
- Conduct interviews and research to develop in-depth, accurate content.
- Contribute to the promotional strategy for founder-focused content.
- Ensure the founder hub’s brand voice and identity stay consistent across pieces.
- Above all, you’re a storyteller. You have a knack for identifying compelling stories and can expertly craft narratives that others will find interesting.
- You love staying on top of trends and have a good understanding of startup ecosystem, whether it be investors, capital, or organizational development.
- You have a proven track record of creating polished and interesting content that gets published, shared, and talked about.
- You like rolling up your sleeves and diving into the research and discovery phase before the article gets written.
- You have experience writing across many different types of content — from shorter snippets to long-form articles, from creative pieces to concise write-ups.
- You’ve worked or dabbled in journalism and you’re a stickler for well-structured stories and impeccable grammar.
Who you'll work with:
- Hillary Noble, Editorial Lead, will be your manager.
- Kristen Bryant, Director of Content, will be a partner in the development of the hub’s sub-brand, voice, and experience.
- Our small team of content creators will collaborate with you to create impactful and meaningful stories.
- Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn't divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
- Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
- Sabbatical - After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
- 401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and provide a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 110 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Why Help Scout?
We're remote. It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked remotely before — we’ve been doing it for nearly a decade and are helping to write the playbook — we’re happy to show you the ropes. Most folks that get a taste of working in a "remote first" company have a hard time going back to the old way of doing things.
We’re passionate about diversity and inclusion. The data is abundantly clear about diverse teams being more successful, and we're dedicated to setting the team up for success. Today our leadership team is 62% women, and that's just the start. Here's our DEI Dashboard where you can see all of our team demographic data and read about our commitment to this work.
We thank all the candidates who have shown interest in our company, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.